TAKE THE BEACHBODY CHALLENGE!

Monday, May 12, 2014

You are what you eat!

You are what you eat!

I'm sure you've heard this phrase a million times from a million different people. I know I have. However, this morning, I have finally (and unfortunately) have come to terms with the full meaning of those words and the truth they possess.

It all started on Friday. My day went as usual. I had breakfast, went to the gym, went home, and had lunch. Dinner was good too. I fell into an old habit and had a few beers, putting me outside of my calorie budget. Saturday morning I went for a walk/run and had a good breakfast. I skipped lunch because I knew we were going out for dinner. That's where I made my first mistake. By time we got to where we were going, I was so hungry that "fat girl" mode kicked in and I wanted everything on the menu. It started with a cocktail and potato skins, followed by a beer and chicken wings with french fries and coleslaw, finished up with another beer. Sunday (Mother's Day) started out pretty good. Went for 1.5 mile walk/run and had a good breakfast. Went out with my sister and the three kids. Started out great, but then one of them had a meltdown and we had to leave Walmart. We ended up at the grocery store, buying subs and a few other items needed for the day and week, including two bags of potato chips. By time we got home, I was starving! I had half of a sub on wheat bread, no mayo, etc., good choices. While putting the groceries away, I tore into the potato chips and began to gobble them by the handful. RED ALERT! Originally, sister and I planned for salads with grilled shrimp for dinner, but by the time we were done in the pool with the kids, that changed to pizza. Stuffed crust, meat lovers pizza... not one slice... not two slices, but three slices. AND MORE COCKTAILS! To end the weekend, we had dessert. Not just any dessert, but banana splits... with all the toppings. 

I was so full when I went to bed. That should have been the first indication that I was not going to have a good night/morning. To make a long story short, I ended up with gas, indigestion, and heartburn. I was awakened early in the morning with the urge to vomit. I did end up vomiting and then the diarrhea started. I was in and out of the bathroom for a couple of hours before everything stopped. I was able to go back to sleep. Once I woke up again, I had a headache. I had to fight through to get the kids off to school and get myself to the gym.

Monday is usually my "balls-to-the-wall" day in the gym! On a regular Monday, I get in and hit it with no issues along the way. Today was a totally different story. I almost talked myself out of going to the gym. Red flag #1. I felt so fatigued, sluggish, and just all around blah. I took me a good bit of time to get into the routine. I wasn't motivated. I wasn't pushing. I was just going through the motions of what I was doing. Biking 10 miles, for example, usually takes me 40 minutes. Today it took me over an hour. I finally finished my workout and still felt like crap. Ugh.

At this point, you may be wondering what the point of this story is. It's simple. You are what you eat. After 3 months of healthy eating and working out, it took one day to throw my body out of whack. I put bad stuff in and got nothing but bad in return. Healthy eating is the most important thing you must do in order to get in shape. You've got to fuel the machine to get the results. The better the fuel, the better the engine will run and you will get a lot more out of it. Needless to say, I won't be making this mistake ever again!

In fitness and in health,
Fat2FitMama

No comments:

Post a Comment