TAKE THE BEACHBODY CHALLENGE!

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Bald is beautiful!

Part of my "resolution" this year is to better myself. Up until now, I thought this only meant physically. Last night I was doing some writing and was off and on Facebook and just thinking about a bunch of random whatever-the-heck popped into my head. The thoughts started coming.

Ok, so I've registered for a 5k in March benefitting the Senior Resource Association and I'm joining a bootcamp benefitting St. Baldrick's Foundation in March as well. (Apparently March is the month I'm training for right now!) I got to thinking. (Yes, I'm doing that a lot in this post.) Not only do I want to better myself physically and health wise, but I would love to make significant contributions to multiple charities that I believe in. I am a single mom and with the FICA taxes increase, I am not able to physically contribute more than $20-30 here and there, and even that's a stretch. So, how can I help? Well, depending on the charity, there are a handful of ways to help without actually donating. 

One example that I hold near and dear right now is The St. Baldrick's Foundation. The St. Baldrick's Foundation is a childhood cancer charity funding the most promising research to help find cures for kids with cancer.Since 2005, they have raised over 103 million dollars to fund research to help find a cure for pediatric cancer. One of their large fundraising events is the head-shaving event. The shavees ask friends and family to donate to the foundation and in return attend a local head-shaving even and have their heads shaved in solidarity with the kids fighting cancer.

One of my very best childhood friends was claimed victim by acute myeloid leukemia. She was formally diagnosed in November of 2004, but parents and doctors expect that she had been sick for some time and it just hadn't presented itself as aggressive as it did then. Even though she was an adult when she passed, this same type of cancer claims the lives of many children. 

A friend of mine (and Zumba and 5k participant, lol) gave birth to a beautiful baby boy in August 2012. He was born with a malignant rhaboid tumor. Unfortunately, he passed away in October 2012.

It is things like this that make me want to give oodles and oodles of money to help fund this research, but like I said, it's not possible. I've been seriously considering becoming a shavee and raising money and shaving my head. To make it ten times better, my 7 year old daughter has agreed to shave hers as well. I believe that with the two of us, we could raise quite a bit of money. 

I've had a few people tell me I'm crazy for wanting to shave my head. Guess what? This isn't about me or them. This is about raising money for an amazing cause. It's only hair and it will grow back in no time. I'm already planning how I'm going to solicit my donations. I just have to talk to my parents about my possible intentions and go from there. I'm still on the fence, but as the days get closer, I'm considering it more and more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment