TAKE THE BEACHBODY CHALLENGE!

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Make yo salad taste mo betta

I remember when I was younger, my parents would take us to the local produce market. We (the kids) would usually just get the peanuts in the shells, while my parents would actually purchase fruits and veggies. Every time we were finishing up the purchase and cashing out, the cashier would say "Free cucumba (or peppa) for you. Make yo salad taste mo betta." As a kid, I didn't understand really, but now that I am older, I am reflecting today on things from my childhood that have influenced me as an adult, one being the produce market.

Here I am now, a grown woman, with children of my own. I realize I have to set the standards for them. I have to be the positive influence and the role model in their lives. I must say that I am very fortunate that my children aren't really picky eaters. They will wipe out a veggie tray in the matter of minutes and love fruit. They eat salad! WHAT? I know!!! The only thing we can't eat right now is spaghetti sauce because "it has onions in it", as my son would say.

They have inspired me to eat healthier than I have been. I am *trying* to eat at least one salad per day. I take a handful of vitamins and supplements (no quick weight loss pills either... they are a joke!), along with a protein shake each day to make sure that I have all the nutrition I need for the demanding and rigorous schedule I have put on myself. I work full-time, work out hardcore at least 3 times per week, keep my house (how, I don't know), maintain the children with school work and basketball (with baseball probably coming soon), and try to have an active social life (when I can).

At the end of the day (around 7:00), I don't want to eat a heavy meal and don't want the kids to either. When we're home late they love it because then they get to stay up a little later to do homework or watch TV and let their food digest some before it's lights out. I'll usually fix soup and salad or something of that nature. I am very excited now because on Monday, I discovered a delicious salad from the "P" place that, with a little brain power, I was able to recreate at home!!

DELICIOUS SPINACH SALAD
2 cups Spinach (or baby spinach)
1 boiled egg (cut up)
1 tablespoon of bacon pieces (NOT BACON BITS)
2 tablespoons of Marie's Spinach Salad dressing with real bacon

ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment